Reaction Injection Molding of a Car Exterior Body for the Automotive Industry
MRC is a leading supplier of reaction injection molding and other services for a variety of industries. The automotive project highlighted here consisted of designing and molding the exterior body of a Ford GT. MRC was one of only a small number of companies in North America with the capabilities and expertise to support this project. An expertly trained team co-engineered the design of the parts, and seasoned technicians made the mold, performed reaction injection molding, and provided trimming and prime prepping of the parts. Advanced 90 to 150 ton RIM presses and a metering unit were used to manufacture the parts, which included front and rear bumper covers, side claddings, rockers, spoilers, and chin splitters all designed to give the car its shape and appearance. The parts were composed of Bayflex 180 O5S with a thickness of 0.125". This material was used for its superior heat and strength properties and ability to withstand the rigorous forces from elevated car speeds. The parts weighted from 5 to 22 lbs. with finishes of base/clear, Class A top coat, and natural color. All work was done to customer specifications with part weights tracked throughout and filler content confirmed. The project represents a total run of multiple pieces for 4,500 vehicles which were delivered in 24 weeks.
To see how our design and reaction injection molding services can help with your next precision manufacturing project, see the table below or contact us.
Car Exterior Body Project Highlights
- Project Name
- Car Exterior Body
- Project Description
- This project was composed of front and rear bumper covers, side claddings, rockers, spoiler, and chin splitter on a Ford GT.
- Capabilities Applied/Processes
Reaction Injection Molding
- Equipment Used to Manufacture Part
- 90 Ton to 150 Ton RIM Presses and Metering Unit
- Overall Part Dimensions
- 5 lbs. to 22 lbs. Part Sizes
- Tightest Tolerances
- Material Used
- Bayer 180 with Fillers
- Material Finish
- Color: Natural
- Additional Facts
- The specialized raw materials (Bayflex 180 O5S) required to produce the exterior parts was supplied by the Bayer Material Science Corp. and chosen by Ford because of its superior heat and strength properties and could withstand the rigorous forces from the super car speeds.
- In process testing/inspection performed
- Part Weights Tracked and Filler Content Confirmed
- Industry for Use
- 4,500 Vehicles
- Delivery/Turnaround Time
- 24 Weeks
- Delivery Location
- Auburn Hills and Troy Michigan